Welcome to the Durrant House Hotel
We hope you will find this access information useful and that it helps to make your stay one to remember.
We are aware that everyone’s needs are different , so if you require any further information not included below then please do not hesitate to contact us directly and our professional and experienced team will be happy to assist you prior to and during your stay with us.
General Points on Access
- The Entrances to the front and rear of the hotel both give level access.
- Our Reception and Foyer Area, Olive Tree Restaurant and Appledore Bar are all on one level and are accessible from the main entrance.
- The Durrant House Hotel is Equipped with a lift to our 1st and 2nd floors.
- There are no rooms directly at ground level however we do have an upper ground floor with 5 steps to access.
Directions to the Hotel
- By Car: Leave the M5 at Junction 27, travel along the A361 to Barnstaple. At Barnstaple take the A39 and head towards Bideford, Cross the Torridge Bridge, take the first right, Sign posted Westward Ho! The Durrant House hotel is on the right.
- By Rail or Coach: The closest train and bus stations are located in Barnstaple town centre where you will find a regular bus service to Bideford.
Our Postcode is EX39 3QB
Before you arrive
- Enquiries or Bookings may be made either online, by email or phone.
When you arrive at the hotel
- We have ample parking in our car park which extends to the rear of the hotel.
- There are two designated Disabled parking spaces inside the car park by the main entrance to reception.
- We have porters available on request to assist you with your luggage.
Our reception Area
- The foyer floor is tiled and has level access from the entrance and a ramp up to the reception area.
- The Entrance to the hotel is level with a ramp up to the reception desk alternatively there are three steps to access.
- Our reception times are from 7.30am–10.30pm; during these times our staff are always available to help you.
- After 10.30pm we have a night porter on duty that will be able to offer assistance.
- The corridors are well lit and carpeted.
- The Reading room is located on the upper ground floor with 5 steps to access.
- Our Appledore Bar and Olive Tree Restaurant are located on the ground floor with access from the main entrance.
- Our R&R Spa and the Hairdressers are located on the first floor of the hotel with lift access.
- The Ballroom is located on the lower ground floor of the hotel with eight steps down to access or level access from the rear of the hotel.
- The Sir Richard Restaurant is on the lower ground floor of the hotel with eight steps down to access or level access from the rear of the hotel with a small lip where the door closes.
- There is a swimming pool and outside area to the rear of the hotel, this has four steps down to access from the car park.
- To get into the pool there are five steps down at one end. The pool is 1.4m deep and there is no lifeguard on duty. Pool area rules can be found at the entrance to the pool area.
- Our disabled toilet is situated on the ground floor of the hotel and is easily accessible from the main entrance, Reception, Olive Tree restaurant and the Appledore Bar.
- We also have a disabled toilet on the lower ground floor of the hotel which has level access from the rear entrance and can be easily accessed from the Sir Richard Restaurant and the Ballroom.
- We have separate Ladies and Gents toilets located on the ground floor of the hotel with level access from the entrance, further toilets are located with three steps down to access from the main entrance and additional toilets can be located on the lower ground floor with level access from the rear of the hotel and easily accessible from the Sir Richard Restaurant and Ballroom.
- The Appledore Bar, Foyer Area and Olive Tree Restaurant are located on the ground floor of the hotel and is easily accessible from the main entrance and has level access from the reception area with ample moveable chairs without arms, Chairs with arms are also available on request. We do have three fixed booth tables in the Olive tree restaurant.
- The Ballroom and Sir Richard Restaurant are located on the Lower ground floor of the hotel with access via eight Steps from the main entrance and level access from the rear of the hotel. There are ample moveable chairs without arms. The ballroom tables are laid with white table linen and are large round tables that fit 10-12 people.
- The Reading Room is located on the upper ground floor and has Sofas, Tub chairs and ample seating with arms.
- The Penthouse Suite is located on the second floor of the hotel and is accessible via lift access. There is one small step to access at the door of the penthouse however a ramp is available on request. There are private toilet facilities located with level access from inside the penthouse suite.
- There is background music in most areas; this can be adjusted if requested.
- Service is a mixture of self service and table service.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all restaurant areas. The artificial lighting in the Reading room is on a sensor and comes on automatically with movement.
- The hotel has three floors, the upper ground floor has 5 steps to access and there is a lift to the first and second floors.
- We have two registered disabled rooms located near the lift on the first floor. These have lift access from the reception area.
- Although there are 2 registered disabled rooms we also have 26 other rooms with walk in showers available. Some of these showers may have a small lip to access, if you require a level access shower please contact us regarding availability.
- There are telephones in all rooms and 24 hours room service is available.
- There are red door hanging signs in all rooms to hang out during your stay for if you ay require assistance during a fire.
Please enquire about and reserve the below equipment when making a booking:-
- Shower Stools
- Raised Toilet Seat
- Travel Cot
- High Chair
- The Fire Alarm is a high pitched siren and does not have flashing lights.
- Emergency evacuation plans are located in each bedroom. For your own safety please ensure you make yourself familiar with these.
- An evacuation procedure can be agreed with guests on arrival.
- If you will require assistance during a fire or evacuation please ensure you make reception aware on arrival to the hotel and hang out your red sign on the outside of your bedroom door.
- Service dogs are welcome at all times.
- Pet dogs can be accommodated in some rooms on the upper ground floor, Please enquire upon booking.
- We have a fridge located behind reception to store medication during a guests stay if requested.
- A local bus service is available from outside the front of the hotel.
- The nearest town centre is Bideford and this is approximately 15-20 minutes’ walk.
We have tried to be as accurate and as detailed as possible with our access statement however we are always willing to give out further information or answer any further enquiries you may have on any aspect of the hotel.
We are always looking to improve the services we offer to our guests, so please do let us know if you have any comments regarding our access statement.
Tel: 01237 472361
Fax: 01237 421709
Address: Durrant House Hotel, Heywood Road, Northam, Nr Bideford, Devon, EX39 3QB
- 01237 472361